Submitted PhD thesis to the University of Calcutta, July 2007
Topic: “Gendered Construction on Culture of Silence/Insignificant Articulation”
Completed Masters in Sociology from CSSS, JNU in 2000
Completed Graduation in Sociology from Presidency College, Kolkata in 1998
• Presently working as Lecturer in Sociology at The West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences, Kolkata since December 2004. Offering LLB Optional courses on Disability and Law and Law, Culture and Pluralism besides co-teaching Sociology of Law and an LLM course on Law and Social Change
• Visiting Faculty at the M Phil course on Women’s Studies in the Women’s Studies Research Centre at the University of Calcutta teaching a module on Feminist Methodology since July 2005.
• Resource person at the Administrative Training Institute, Kolkata training government officials on various human rights related issues since 2007
• Presented a paper on Laws relating to Sexual Harassment of Women in Workplaces at the JD Birla Institute, Department of Home Science and Commerce in a Seminar on Emerging issues to Empower Women in October, 2007
• Presented a paper jointly with Prof Ved Kumari of the University of Delhi on Image of Family in Women’s Narratives and its interface with Family Law Curriculum at NUJS in August, 2007
• Presented a paper on Silenced Voices in Women’s Autobiographies organized by the Women’s Studies Unit, JNU, Delhi in April, 2007
• Presented a paper on Women and Partition Narratives: Experiences, Emotions and Expectations at a National Workshop on Women’s Histories, Women’s Narratives commemorating Lila Majumdar’s Birth Centenary, organized by Jadavpur University, School of Women’s Studies in March 2007
• Presented a paper on Democracy and Gender in a national seminar on Democracy and Democratization organized by Jadavpur University, International Relations Department under the UGC-ASIHSS programme in March 2007
• Presented a paper on Silenced Women, Talking Women: Women Narrating Conflict at the All India Women’s Studies (Eastern Region) Conference in February, 2007
• Presented a paper on Integrating Sociology in Law School Curriculum: Discontent, Dilemma, Direction in a Workshop on Mapping Practices in Sociology and Thinking the Role of Social Sciences in India at JNU in January 2007
• Presented a paper on Courtroom Dramas: Juxtaposition of ‘Objective’ Truths and Empathetic Listening? at the XXXIInd All India Conference of the Indian Sociological Society in Chennai, December 2006
• Presented a paper on Women, Violence and Human Rights in a panel discussion on Status of Women in India at Gokhale Memorial College, Kolkata in December 2006
• Presented a paper on Analysis of the Domestic Violence Act, 2006 in a panel discussion on Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act organized by Jadavpur University Women’s Studies Department in December 2006
• Presented a paper Law’s Perception of Sexuality: Morality vs. Objectivity on the Closing Plenary of the IVth International Congress on Folk Law and Legal Pluralism held at the University of Indonesia, Jakarta In June 2006
• Presented a paper at the annual International SHARP Conference on Women’s Personal Narratives: Creating Women’s History at Jadavpur University in January 2006
• Presented a paper on Sociological Insight into Women’s Lives in the Private Sphere at the All India Women’s Conference Seminar on Personal Laws and Women’s Rights: The Indian Experience in January 2006
• Presented a paper on Sociology in Law Schools: An Emerging Pedagogy at the All India Sociological Conference at Jaipur organized by the Rajasthan Sociological Association in December 2005.
• Presented a paper on the Background and Existing Provisions of the Bengal Vagrancy Act, 1943 as a part of a Workshop on Bengal Vagrancy Act, 1943: Recommendations for Change organized by the Centre for Women and Law, The WB National University of Juridical Sciences and Action Aid International—India, in November 2005.
• Given a Faculty Seminar at NUJS on Laws and Women’s Lives—an unbridgeable fissure? Bengali Women’s Autobiographies and Social Reform Legislations in the 19th century in August 2005.
• Given a Faculty Seminar at NUJS on Sociology, Criminal Law and Social Order: An Interdisciplinary Perspective in January 2004.
• Presented a paper entitled “A Sociological Approach to the legal principles dealing with Persons with Disabilities” at a Seminar on Socialisation of Women with Disabilities, organized by Calcutta University, Women’s Research Centre and Action Aid, India on 5th December 2003.
• Presented a paper “Uniform Civil Code and Gender Just Laws” at a Seminar on “The Different Personal Laws in India” organized by State Commission for Women and National Commission for Women in association with National University of Juridical Sciences at NUJS on the 15th of March 2003.
Involved in a number of training programmes as resource person on issues related to women’s rights, rights of persons with disabilities and child rights
Active member of a women’s rights group in the city, Nari Nirjatan Pratirodh Mancha (Forum for Oppression against Women) and Maitri, a women’s network of NGOs and women activists in West Bengal